“Tis the season when most people will add on a few too many pounds! We attend parties where the food is full of sugar, bad carbs, and too much alcohol. We are over-booked and don’t allow time to exercise. It’s cold outside and we want to hibernate inside.
What does it hurt to gain a few extra pounds during the holidays anyway? We can start losing weight January 1st, right? According to researchers at the National Institutes of Health, most Americans never lose the weight they gain during the winter holidays.
K6 Wellness has put together some tips to help you keep the weight off during the holidays.
1. Sleep! Get 8 to 9 hours of sleep during the holidays. Chronic sleep deprivation may cause weight gain by affecting the way our bodies process and store carbohydrates and by altering levels of hormones that affect our appetite. Read more about the importance of sleep here.
2. Never arrive at a party hungry. You are more likely to over consume on sugars and bad foods when you are starving. If you can’t eat before the party, try Crave Control. It will help you feel full and give you your needed fiber.
3. Sit down and eat slowly. Try putting your fork down between bites, which will help you chew your food properly and fill you up with less food.
4. Chew gum to keep from snacking on all the sugary foods at a party.
5. Water- don’t forget to drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water every day.
6. Don’t skip your workouts. Book your workouts as if they are an appointment. Make this time a priority. If your days are full, wake up 30 minutes early to get your workout in.
7. Focus on the family and friends at a party instead of the food.
8. Limit alcohol.
9. Add 10 extra minutes of cardio to your workouts.
10. Don’t skip meals. Keep eating healthy meals so you aren’t tempted to snack on cookies and sweets.
Our goal at K6 Wellness is to help you and your family on your journey to great health. Please let us know how we can help you.