With autumn here, what better time to bring on the pumpkin recipes! Just because you don’t eat gluten or sugar, doesn’t mean you have to miss out on pumpkin pie. Pie is my favorite dessert and this pumpkin pie is amazing. (My daughter said it tasted just like real pumpkin pie! 🙂 )
(For Crust) The recipe for the crust was adapted from PaleoMom.com.
1 1/4 cup raw walnut halves
1 cup almond flour
1 egg white
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grind walnuts in a food processor until finely ground and almost starting to turn into walnut butter (i.e., just starting to clump together).
- Mix walnuts, almond flour, egg white, and salt together (you can pulse in your food processor or do this by hand).
- Press into a 9” pie plate (an 8” deep dish pie plate will work too).
- Pierce the crust with a fork every ¼inch.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool at least 10 minutes before pouring the filling in.
(For the filling)
1 can organic pumpkin filling
1/4 cup raw honey
1/4 cup xilitol
1 1/4 cup canned coconut milk
3 eggs, plus the eggs yolk from the crust
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl.
- Mix with a mixer until smooth, approximately 2 minutes.
- Pour mixture into cooled pie crust. Cover the edges with foil or a pie crust shield.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce oven to 350 degrees and bake for 40 minutes or until custard is cooked through.
- Top with real whipping cream, if desired.