Occasionally, I like to enjoy marshmallows in my cocoa or even my cup of coffee…that’s how I live life on the edge. But there’s one problem, I don’t like marshmallows from the store. I only like homemade ones. Fortunately, I found a recipe to make marshmallows without corn syrup. If you’ve never made your own, they are delicious and very easy to make.
The original recipe was found here.
The only change I made was covering the pan with toasted unsweetened coconut and sprinkling it on the top.
- 1 cup filtered water, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup light colored honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Grease an 8×8 inch pan and line with parchment paper, leaving an inch over the pan.
- Dust parchment paper with arrowroot starch or toasted coconut so marshmallows are not sticky at the bottom when they are removed.
- In your mixer bowl, add the gelatin with ½ cup of water.
- While the gelatin is softening, pour the other ½ cup of water in a sauce pan along with the honey, vanilla and the salt. Turn the burner to a medium high heat, bringing the mixture to a boil. Place a candy thermometer in the sauce pan and continue to boil the mixture until it reaches 240 degrees (the soft ball stage). This will take approx. 7-8 min. Immediately remove from the sauce pan from the heat.
- Turn your standing mixer to low/med. Slowly pour the honey mixture into the bowl combining it with the softened gelatin. Turn the mixer to high and continue beating the mixtures until it becomes thick like marshmallow cream (about 10 min).
- Turn off the mixer and pour the marshmallow cream into the parchment lined pan.
- Using a rubber spatula, smooth the top and add another light dusting of arrowroot starch or toasted coconut on top.
- Allow your marshmallows to “set” for 4-6 hours. I allowed mine to set overnight.
- Once your marshmallow has “set”, lift big marshmallow out onto a counter. Using a sharp knife, cut it into squares.
The are perfect!! I think the would make great gift, too! Wrap a few in a bag, tie with a cute ribbon and give to your friends and family.