We live in a fast-paced world, but that is no reason to skip breakfast! Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Eating a healthy breakfast starts your body’s metabolism and helps to prevent that mid-morning slump that sends most people looking for a quick fix (usually sugar or caffeine.) Your body will actually crave more food as the day progresses to catch up on the needed nutrients you missed earlier in the day. When you skip meals, your body activates a starvation defense and stores fat for survival and lowers your metabolic rate, which is your calorie burning. By eating breakfast, you can actually raise your metabolic rate and begin to burn more calories.
When chosing your breakfast, you want to make sure you eat protein. Protein helps to build and repair bodily tissues, and it is used to produce hormones and enzymes. When you eat protein for breakfast, you will feel more energized and ready to take on your day. You will also feel full longer.
With a little bit of planning, you can be prepared to grab your breakfast and head out the door. Remember, breakfast is just another meal. When choosing healthy options, think “outside the box.”
Favorite “Breakfast on the Go” Foods:
2. Hard-boiled eggs: Keep several in your refrigerator at a time so you have them handy.
3. Sausage patty: sausage can be made days in advance and kept in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
4. Green smoothies: Throw kale, cucumber, parsley, frozen strawberries and coconut milk in a blender
5. Coffee Cake Banana Bread: Perfect to grab and eat in the car. Make sure you add a protein shake or an egg.
6. Veggie-Packed Meatballs: yes, you can eat meatballs for breakfast!
7. Grain-free muffins: I love our Autumn Muffins.
8. Egg Muffins: My kids love egg muffins. You can make them very basic or fill them up with as many vegetables as you want. Make these ahead of time so they are ready to grab while you are walking out the door.
9. Apple and Almond Butter
10. Sausage and Onion Quiche: It is so easy to grab a slice of quiche when the eggs are cold. I love eating this cold for breakfast.
I hope some of these ideas help you when deciding what to eat for breakfast.