There’s nothing better than a bowl of stew to warm you up on cool nights. This Beef and Butternut Squash Stew is very satisfying and sure to be a family favorite!
2 1/2 pounds stew meat
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 TBSP coconut oil
3 -4 slices thick bacon, cut into small pieces
4 carrots, sliced
4 stalks of celery, sliced
1 butternut squash, diced
1/4 cup almond flour
4 cups organic beef broth
2 cups red wine
3 bay leaves
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp Herbes De Provence seasoning (found at Whole Foods)
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat, and working in batches, add the stew meat.
- Brown for 5-6 minutes per side, then flip over with tongs. Remove from pot and add other meat and repeat process. Set meat aside on a plate.
- Saute the onions until soft.
- Fry bacon pieces in the pan until crispy.
- Add the celery and carrots to the pot, stirring to loosen any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the almond flour and mix together.
- Add in the almond flour and cook until it is rather dried out.
- Stir in the wine, and simmer to let the wine reduce somewhat.
- Add the broth, butternut squash, bay leaves, salt, and Herbes De Provence; bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove bay leaves and serve.