With summer here and the garden starting to produce, what better way to use the vegetables than this wonderful Antipasto.Serve it with vegetables, crackers, or eat it all by itself. (This recipe makes enough to give to friends and save for later.)
4 cups chopped cauliflower
4 cups pearl onions
2 cups chopped red bell peppers
2 cups chopped green bell peppers
2 cups chopped celery
2 cucumbers- peeled, seeded and chopped
2 cups vegetable oil
2 cups distilled white vinegar
1 (6 ounces) can tomato paste
1 TBSP pickling spice, wrapped in cheesecloth
1 cup black olives
1 cup pitted green olives
4 cups mushrooms
1 1/2 (6 ounces) cans tuna, drained and flaked
1. In a large bowl, place the cauliflower, pearl onions, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, celery and cucumbers. Add enough lightly salted water to barely cover the vegetables. Soak for 8 to 12 hours, or overnight.
2. In a small bowl, with enough lightly salted water to cover, place the carrots. Soak 8 to 12 hours, or overnight.
3. In a large saucepan, place the vegetable oil, vinegar, tomato paste and pickling spice. Bring the mixture to a boil. Drain and rinse the carrots and place in mixture. Boil 10 minutes.
4. Drain and rinse the cauliflower mixture. Put in saucepan and cook 10 minutes or until cauliflower is tender but crisp.
5. Stir black olives, green olives, mushrooms, and tuna into the mixture. Remove from heat. Discard the pickling spice.
While still hot, transfer to sterile jars and refrigerate.