Our skin is one amazing organ! It is crucial to take care of your skin to keep it functioning properly so that it can:
- protect your insides
- maintain your body temperature
- regulate moisture being absorbed and excreted
- convert UV rays to vitamin D
- secrete sebum (the natural moisture barrier of your skin)
- release toxins by sweating
The skin is actually called the 3rd kidney. It breathes and releases toxins from our body. It is the largest elimination organ in the body and is responsible for ¼ of the body’s detoxification each day. Now we know why it’s so important to take care of our skin and why we need to be careful what ingredients we are putting on our skin as they are absorbed into the body.
Dry brushing is a great way to promote the elimination of toxins. It does so by:
- Cleaning the lymphatic system
- removing dead skin layer which improves skin texture and cell renewal
- stimulating circulation which encourages our body’s excretion of metabolic wastes
- improving the function of the nervous system by stimulating nerve endings in the skin
- strengthening the immune system by stimulating the lymph vessels to drain toxins into the elimination organs
- stimulating oil glands and hormone production
- tightening the skin – anti-aging!
- leaving you feeling invigorated!
Your dry brush should be a soft, natural fiber brush preferably with a long handle so you can reach all areas of the body. Nylon and synthetic fiber brushes are too sharp and may damage your skin.
It is always best to dry brush your dry, naked body before you shower or bathe. Bathing or showering after brushing will wash off the impurities left on your skin from brushing. You can use either long or short strokes, but the most important thing to remember is always brush towards your heart! It’s best if you start at your feet, then brush up your legs, hands and up your arms. Use counter-clockwise circular strokes on your abdomen, up your back, then down from the neck. Don’t worry about making a mistake, then main thing is to start brushing and get your lymph moving!