At times it may seem hard to make healthy choices, whether you are gluten-free, grain-free, or sugar-free. Eating out may seem like an added challenge, but it is very doable.
Here are a few tips:
1. Choose a restaurant that has a variety of food choices. You are sure to find something if the menu has a variety of items to offer.
2. If you are going to a place that may not have many options, eat something at home before you go to the restaurant so you aren’t starving and are tempted to make bad choices.
3. Don’t be afraid to talk to your server. Ask how food is prepared. They will know if any items have hidden ingredients. If they don’t know, they can find out.
4. Refuse the bread. I don’t even let the bread tempt me. I ask them to take it away immediately.
5. Be specific when ordering.Don’t be afraid to order what you want. (Ask for your salad with dressing on the side. Ask for regular butter instead of the sweet butter.)
6. Order fresh vegetables as a side. (Sometimes, I will order double vegetables, if there aren’t a lot of options.)
7. Ask for oil and vinegar for your salad dressing. If that is not available, squeeze fresh lemon or lime. Most dressings contain gluten and sugar.
8. If you are craving something sweet for dessert, order fresh fruit.
Eating healthy is a life-style change. It may be hard, but it is not impossible.